To ensure that everyone is race ready for the Melbourne Cup Carnival this year, Carnival Cruise Line has teemed with two of Australia’s leading beauty and style experts. They will be joining us onboard for the cruise down to Melbourne and sharing with guests their fashion tips, wardrobe ideas & beauty secrets.
With a combined 30 years of beauty and style experience between them, stylist to the stars Penny Hunt and Beauticate website founder Sigourney Cantelo – both former Beauty Editors at Vogue – have compiled their top three trackside tips to ensure punters are winners on the day no matter where their horse finishes.
Penny has judged Fashions on the Field at Melbourne Cup, been a style consultant for the Seven Network and appeared as a fashion and beauty expert for Channel Nine’s Morning Show. She has styled many famous Australians including actresses Cate Blanchett and Asher Keddie, model Jennifer Hawkins, and tv presenter Sonia Kruger.
Here are her tips for cruise punters heading to the Melbourne Cup:
- Honour tradition. One of my all time favourite movies is My Fair Lady, which includes one of the most famed racing film scenes of all time – even Nicole Kidman paid homage to the Audrey Hepburn character a few years ago at Derby day. Honouring tradition doesn’t have to mean old fashioned or boring, it’s about embracing feminine style with a sense of structure and sophistication.
- Consider your heel height. This is not just about being practical, but also about bearing in mind that it’s not a night club so a mid-sized heel or wedge is ok.
- Don’t over accessorise. When you’re wearing a hat or headpiece along with a statement frock, something has to give and it should be your accessories. Keep to a simple stud earring (no chandeliers) and if you are a fan of statement necklaces then do just that and no other jewellery. Choose a simple pair of sunglasses without embellishments and avoid earrings if you’re going to be doing a hat/headpiece and sunglass combo. Gloves are great but keep them feminine and classic. Shoes and bags need to match and be simple. If you’re wearing a statement dress or head-wear it all needs to combine well – it’s a day to celebrate the hat, so let that shine.
Sigourney’s website Beauticate is devoted to the whos and how-to’s of style and makeup featuring some of Australia’s most beautiful women such as Jessica Gomes, Samantha Harris, Jessica Hart, Delta Goodrem and Dannii Minogue.
Here are her makeup tips for cruise punters:
- Complexion perfection. For a flawless look that lasts a day at the races, apply a broad spectrum sunscreen underneath your foundation and carry a powder compact with you. Mineral foundation is a great choice at the races and fits easily into most bags.
- Bold lip. A bold, bright lipstick is a great way to elevate your makeup look and add a punch of colour. This season watermelon, orange and brick reds are big news. Look for a long-lasting matte formula and remember to slip one in your clutch for touch ups. To prevent it from coming off on your teeth, purse your lips around your finger – this will take off any excess from the inside of your lips.
- Self tan. Give your skin a flattering glow that will make you feel great (both poolside and trackside) with a self tan. Look for olive-based formulas. I like to apply my tanning mousse with a mitt as it buffs it into the skin and is much harder to mess up than using just fingers or a spray.